So, you accidentally fell asleep with your contact lenses in. You’ve just woken up and are starting to panic - now, that’s the one thing you shouldn’t do! Keep your cool - we’re here to help you through it:
- Firstly, don’t try to take out your contact lenses right away, even if they feel really uncomfortable. They’re probably very dry and stuck to your eye, so they will be difficult to take them out the way you normally would.
- Instead, gently massage your eyes, so they can naturally produce moisture to hydrate the contacts naturally.
- Drink lots of water to help rehydrate, as it will also add more moisture to your eyes.
- If the lenses are still dry, apply eye drops to help hydrate them more.
- Once your eyes start feeling normal again, you can try to take your lenses out.
- Take a day off your contacts. Or even better, two days off: your eyes need all the rest they can get!
- Does it still feel uncomfortable, even after a couple of days? Give your optician a call - they’ll take a look at your eyes and tell you what to do.